NEW online Zoom classes
The word 'Eku' is actually the name of the tree from which the oar is made but is synonymous with reference to the oar which is also sometimes called a 'kai bo'. The Okinawan oar is a beautiful polearm whose weight distribution changes the fight entirely.
Our go to features
- 5ft or 6ft length (the paddle is 2:3 ratio with the handle)
- rounded or pointed end
- traditional convex angles on the top side
- traditional subtle concave curve on the back side
- unique ovular handle for comfort and indexing
- sanded to 320 grit
- 5+ coats of oil for wood beauty and health
10-15 coats needed for complete sealing and sustained sheen
- custom engraving/burning, or inlay
These were our first Eku, both hickory - one plain and pointed, the other with a purple stain and rounded head.
This Eku was an amazing custom build featuring an inlay of DC's Aquaman commemorative pin that we dubbed The Oar of Atlantis